The Story Behind this Blog

Being from the South, Silver is a very big part of my life. It doesn't have anything to do with wealth. Although those with more money - old money, tend to have more of it. New money tend not to spend their money on Silver. They do not have the appreciation for the warmth of the metal, the beauty of the patina, the story it tells of the generations past who have used it. A true southern girl comes of age when she chooses her silver pattern, long before she chooses her mate. If she is smart, she chooses that of her mother, grandmother, or favorite great aunt who in their benevolence will pass their silver on to her. It is the pieces in those sets, the pieces on our tables, along with the pieces we find in the corners of the displays in antique stores that prompted me to start this blog. They are beautiful, they are odd, but what are they, and what in the hell do you do with them?

Monday, February 1, 2010

The St. Dunstan (Chased) by Gorham

From the August 1, 1923 Gorham Catalog, this pattern is described as, "As its name implies, the St. Dunstan is a pattern which, by its massive strength and virile outlines, recalls the handiwork of the silversmiths of olden times. In addition to these noble qualities, however, it is characterized by a refinement and delicacy of detail and finish which are only rendered possible by the ingenious appliances at the service of the modern silversmith."

The pattern was issued in 1917. The only source I could find said it was discontinued in 1991.

(Place Fork 7 3/8 inches)

P0000031444S1552T2.jpg (600×92)


(Orange Spoon 5 3/4)

P0000031444S1510T2.jpg (600×147)

(Bon Bon Spoon 4 7/8 inches)

P0000031444S1523T2.jpg (600×257)

(Lemon Fork 5 5/8 inches)

P0000031444S1493T2.jpg (600×159)

(2 Piece Salad Set 8 3/4 inches)

P0000031444S1555T2.jpg (600×354)




4 comments:

  1. This is my family's pattern, a service for 8 purchased in 1924 or 1925. I've increased the flatware service to service for 12 and added pieces such as cocktail forks, ice tea spoons, and pierced pastry forks. I've also added to our hollow ware and would like to add more. My mother found a few pieces in antique stores over the decades. The internet certainly makes things easy. The pattern is very beautiful and elegant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely pattern, I know you family appreciates it and hopefully uses it daily. Thank you reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. I inherited a 12 piece luncheon set from my maternal grandmother when I married. Each piece on the back is inscribed with PAT.1915. I assumed the pattern was developed in 1915, yet research says 1917. Am I wrong? Maybe this is the pattern number? Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift. My assumption is that the pattern was patented a year or 2 before it was introduced (as in offered for sale to the public). If it matches the design, has the Gorham markings, and says Sterling" I'm pretty sure it is the real thing.Enjoy it and use it!! It does no good staying in a silver chest. I find every meal more enjoyable when the table is set with sterling - whether for take out or for a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete